Ta' Pintu

Pinto's 2.

suite 2
Deluxe Suite - Ta' Pintu / Pinto's 2.

Palazzino Nina could not but name one of its oldest suites found on first floor after Grand Master Manuel Pinto da Fonseca (also known as Emmanuel Pinto de Fonseca) who was a Portughese nobleman born on 24th May 1681 to Miguel Álvaro Pinto da Fonseca, Alcaide-Mór de Ranhados, and his wife, Ana Pinto Teixeira. He was the 68th Grandmaster of the Order of Saint John from 1741 till his death on 23rd January, 1773. Pinto undertook many building projects introducing the Baroque style throughout Malta. Pinto built nineteen storehouses at the Marina in Valletta which still bears his name, today known as the Valletta Waterfront where a number of well-known seaside restaurants are found. The decree constituting the University, now the University of Malta was signed by Grand Master Pinto on 22 November 1769, having been authorised to do so by the Papal brief, Sedula Romani Pontificis, received on 20 October 1769. On 22 November of that year, the Grandmaster signed a bando establishing the University which is one of the oldest in Europe.

Under the rule of Grandmaster Manuel Pinto da Fonseca, Qormi was given the title of Citta` Pinto. The decree issued on 25th May, 1743 issued by Grand Master Pinto said "Habita relatione, Terra Curmi erigmus In Civitatem, Imponentes el nomen Pinto", which means that the land of Qormi, to which he gave his own name Pinto, was then given higher dignity from a piece of land to a city, a fact which is now preserved in the locality's Latin motto: "Altior Ab Imo" (which means, rising from the low). The city still bears Pinto's coat of arms as its symbol. The coat of arms portrays five red crescents symbolising the fact that the Pinto de Fonseca family won five battles against the Ottomans.

loggia
The Grand Master's Loggia, Qormi Malta

In 1772 to mark the 31st year of reign of Grandmaster Pinto a structure supported by 4 columns was built and decorated by Pinto’s coat of arms with a Latin inscription. This structure used to form part of a large farmhouse complex which included the stables of the Grand Master’s horses. According to tradition, Pinto used to sit in the loggia to shade himself while watching horse racing. However, its original purpose to date is unclear. Today the loggia is landmark where close by St Sebastian’s Parish Church was built. Pinto Loggia forms the backdrop for the annual Qormi Day.During the reign of the Knights of the Order of St. John, bakers in Qormi provided most of the island’s bread supply and till this very day Qormi is known and sought after for the supply of the freshly baked Maltese loaf. Hence, over the years Qormi which lies in the centre of Malta, southwest of Valletta, the island’s capital city, just at a distance of 5.7 km away, developed from a village in a rural environment into a large city. Today it is occupied by around 17,500 inhabitants and is the third largest locality in the island. Click here to learn more about Citta Pinto.

suite 2
Deluxe Suite - Ta' Pintu / Pinto's 2.
suite 2
Deluxe Suite - Ta' Pintu / Pinto's 2.
ensuite 2
Deluxe Suite - Ta' Pintu / Pinto's 2. - Private Ensuite Bathroom
suite 2
Deluxe Suite - Ta' Pintu / Pinto's 2.